Biden increases pressure on Israel for a cease-fire, calling for a 'significant de-escalation today'
- Biden is ramping up pressure on
Israelfor a cease-fire.
- The president called for "a significant de-escalation today on the path to a ceasefire."
- Biden has faced criticism in Washington over his position on a cease-fire.
"The two leaders had a detailed discussion on the state of events in
The readout added that Biden conveyed to Netanyahu that "he expected a significant de-escalation today on the path to a ceasefire."
Israel has rebuffed calls for a cease-fire as the death toll mounts. The president's call with the Israeli leader on Wednesday came after Netanyahu in a briefing to foreign ambassadors said there was no "timeframe" on the Gaza offensive.
"We're not standing with a stopwatch. We want to achieve the goals of the operation. Previous operations lasted a long time so it is not possible to set a timeframe," Netanyahu said, per Barak Ravid, an Israel-based reporter.
Biden has faced criticism from some Democrats in Washington over his administration's position on a cease-fire thus far. The Biden administration initially avoided any explicit or imminent push for a cease-fire, while blocking efforts in the UN Security Council to issue a statement condemning the violence in Gaza.
After 10 days of Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, at least 219 Palestinians have been killed, including 63 children, per BBC News. Hamas rocket attacks have killed at least 12 in Israel, including two children.
"The shooting must stop," French President Emmanuel Macron said in a statement. "The time has come for a cease-fire."
- Sony’s all-new PlayStation 5 model was spotted in Japan featuring updated radio equipment
- After Unacademy and Vedantu, Cars24 is the latest unicorn to lay off 600 employees
- India climbs two ranks in speed test for mobile broadband speed but fixed broadband speed dips: Ookla
- ESA satellite Sentinel-1A dodges a 'high-risk collision' from Russian space debris
- Telangana hikes liquor prices by 20-25% to increase state revenues
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction