Biden increases pressure on Israel for a cease-fire, calling for a 'significant de-escalation today'
- Biden is ramping up pressure on
Israelfor a cease-fire.
- The president called for "a significant de-escalation today on the path to a ceasefire."
- Biden has faced criticism in Washington over his position on a cease-fire.
"The two leaders had a detailed discussion on the state of events in
The readout added that Biden conveyed to Netanyahu that "he expected a significant de-escalation today on the path to a ceasefire."
Israel has rebuffed calls for a cease-fire as the death toll mounts. The president's call with the Israeli leader on Wednesday came after Netanyahu in a briefing to foreign ambassadors said there was no "timeframe" on the Gaza offensive.
"We're not standing with a stopwatch. We want to achieve the goals of the operation. Previous operations lasted a long time so it is not possible to set a timeframe," Netanyahu said, per Barak Ravid, an Israel-based reporter.
Biden has faced criticism from some Democrats in Washington over his administration's position on a cease-fire thus far. The Biden administration initially avoided any explicit or imminent push for a cease-fire, while blocking efforts in the UN Security Council to issue a statement condemning the violence in Gaza.
After 10 days of Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, at least 219 Palestinians have been killed, including 63 children, per BBC News. Hamas rocket attacks have killed at least 12 in Israel, including two children.
"The shooting must stop," French President Emmanuel Macron said in a statement. "The time has come for a cease-fire."
- Oct 1 deadline for compulsory e-invoice generation nears for firms with ₹10 crore turnover
- Prospective homebuyers expect property prices to increase
- ICICIdirect launches online platform Flash Trade for F&O traders
- Apple announces offers on iPhone 14 series, AirPods Pro
- Great resignation impact being felt in India as attrition rate remains elevated at 20% in 2022
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World