Biden responds to criticism from Gov. Ron DeSantis: 'Governor who?'
- 'Governor who?' responded Biden when asked about criticism from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
- The comments are the latest in a feud between the two over how Florida is responding to COVID-19.
- Biden made the remarks at an event promoting electric vehicles, where he drove an electric Jeep Wrangler.
President Joe Biden was asked Thursday about Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis's criticism of the President as part of an ongoing war of words between the two.
"What is your response to Governor DeSantis, who is using your words about 'don't be in the way' and he's saying 'I am in the way, to block too much interference from the federal government.' Your response, Mr. President?" asked Kelly O'Donnell, an NBC White House reporter.
"Governor who?" quipped Biden as onlookers laughed. "That's my response."
-The Recount (@therecount) August 5, 2021
Biden's comments are the latest in a war of words with the Florida governor. At a press conference on Tuesday, Biden singled out the governors of Florida and Texas - though not by name - criticizing the governors' handling of COVID-19 in their respective states.
"I say to these governors, please help. If you aren't going to help, at least get out of the way of the people who are trying to do the right thing. Use your power to save lives," he said. DeSantis, a Republican, signed an order last week prohibiting masks from being required in schools and threatening to strip funding from schools that do so.
DeSantis fired back on Wednesday.
"Why don't you do your job? Why don't you get this border secure, and until you do that, I don't want to hear a blip about COVID from you," he said at a press conference.
-The Recount (@therecount) August 4, 2021
Biden made the remarks following an event on the South Lawn of the White House where he signed a new executive order that aims to make electric vehicles comprise half of all new vehicles sold in 2030.
He then hopped into an electric Jeep Wrangler, taking it for a test drive around the lawn as the press corps chased after him.
-CSPAN (@cspan) August 5, 2021
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- Car prices set to rise in January – Should you buy one in December?
- The Sharing Economy
- Credit metrics of India Inc. to improve in October-December quarter: ICRA
- It is never too early to introduce kids to money concepts
- Ambulances ready, road being repaired to rush workers trapped in Silkyara tunnel to hospital