Congressional Democrats plan to introduce bill that would add four more justices to the Supreme Court, per report
- Four members of Congress have plans to try to expand the
Supreme Court, according to The Intercept.
- House and Senate
Democratsare poised to introduce a bill Thursday that would add four justices.
- Earlier this month, Biden ordered a commission to study possible Supreme Court reforms.
Democrats are reportedly ready to try and add more justices to the US Supreme Court.
The bill is reportedly being led by House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Nadler of New York, Subcommittee Chair Hank Johnson of Georgia, and Rep. Mondaire Jones of New York in the House, while Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts is spearheading the bill in the Senate.
Three congressional sources familiar with the measure told The Intercept that the legislation would add four seats to the Supreme Court, which would bring the total number of justices to 13.
Congress has the power to set the number of judges on the high court, and the count previously fluctuated during the country's pre-20th century history.
Former President Donald Trump was able to appoint three justices during his four-year tenure, cementing a 6-3 conservative-leaning Supreme Court after Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died in September 2020.
After the Senate rushed through Justice Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation process just weeks before the 2020 election, some Democrats started advocating for "packing the courts," or expanding the number of justices in order to take back some judicial control.
Now, Democrats hold, an albeit, narrow majority in both chambers, and even President Joe Biden, who had previously said he "wasn't a fan" of court-packing, has signaled he may be open to the idea, creating a commission to study the possible reform and others earlier this month.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Ambani family has been target of threats over the years
- Sensex gains 156 points led by metal, IT and capital goods amid foreign capital inflows
- Gigabyte launches mid-range gaming laptops in India
- PepsiCo’s Quaker Oats cuts down sugar content by 30% to make breakfast cereals more healthy
- World Bank downgrades India's economic growth forecast to 6.5% for FY23
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World