DeSantis says teaching requirements are 'too rigid' as Florida moves to let veterans without degrees teach
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said teaching requirements have been "too rigid" for educators.
- Florida is issuing temporary teaching certificates to allow military veterans to teach in schools.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis complained that teaching requirements have been "too rigid" for requiring educators to have "certain credentials."
"We want you to be able to teach Florida students," DeSantis said in a video on Twitter. "For too long, the requirements to be a teacher have been too rigid with union bosses insisting that all educators get certain credentials that often have little impact on teaching performance."
The state's new program invites veterans to teach if they served four years and got an honorable or medical discharge and clear a background check. They also must have completed 60 college credits (half of a four-year degree) and pass a Florida subject exam.
—Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) August 11, 2022
"Our veterans have a wealth of knowledge and experience they can bring to bear in the classroom, and with this innovative approach, they will be able to do so for five years with a temporary certification as they work towards their degree," DeSantis said.
The Florida Education Association is anticipating over 8,000 teacher vacancies going into the 2022-2023 school year, according to WPTV. In a recent statement, the agency called on lawmakers to ensure teachers get better salaries and schools have "qualified, experienced teachers."
"Every morning our students recite the Pledge of Allegiance while looking at the star-spangled banner," DeSantis said. "It is fitting that the teacher in the classroom is somebody who took an oath and put his or her life on the line to preserve, protect, and defend our flag and the freedom it represents."
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- Cristiano Ronaldo is now causing trouble for Portugal at the World Cup after his dramatic Manchester United exit
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Best sofa set under ₹15000
- Best washing machine under ₹15000
- Only half of Indian listed companies set net carbon emissions commitments: WTW
- Indian beauty brand RENÉE Cosmetics raises $25 million in Series B funding led by Evolvence India, Edelweiss Group
- Sensex, Nifty50 end lower as caution looms ahead of RBI’s rate hike decision
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World