Donald Trump mistrusts diehard MAGA Rep. Elise Stefanik despite her enthusiastic displays of loyalty, report says
- Donald Trump is skeptical of Rep. Elise Stefanik, The New York Times reported in a new profile.
- Stefanik transformed from a centrist into a diehard MAGA supporter in recent years.
Former President Donald Trump doesn't trust the rising Republican star Rep. Elise Stefanik, despite her overt displays of loyalty to him, a report said.
The New York Times cited two sources close to Trump for his apparent mistrust of her. It did not give their identities.
In a profile of Stefanik, The Times charted her transformation from a moderate Republican skeptical of Trump into one of his most vocal supporters.
At a press conference in May, The Times noted, Stefanik declared herself to be "ultra-MAGA", adopting a label from President Joe Biden initially intended as an insult.
She has often lived up to the label, including by backing up Trump's debunked claims that the 2020 election was rigged. As NPR reported, that effort came despite Stefanik's work to promote democracy in other countries.
Later, she angrily defended Trump when the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago, calling the move part of a "Russia hoax 2.0."
Her jibe was a reference to the Mueller investigation into Trump's presidential campaign which his allies say was politically motivated.
Citing the two sources close to him, The Times said that Trump was entertained by the spectacle of Stefanik defending him in public, but detected an ulterior motive.
It highlighted stories in the media floating Stefanik as a potential running mate for Trump as a source of derision.
Though The Times did not identify specific stories, CNN reported in May that Stefanik was being discussed as a potential running-mate, leading to a series of other articles discussing the possibility.
This, per The Times, was met with "bemusement and mockery" by Trump and his allies, who believe that Stefanik's own team placed the stories.
Trump and Stefanik didn't immediately respond to a request for comment by Insider, made outside normal working hours.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns