RESULTS: First-term Democratic Rep. Katie Porter projected to keep her seat in California's 45th Congressional District
- Democratic Rep. Katie Porter is projected to defeat Republican Greg Raths in California's 45th Congressional District.
- The district is located in Orange County in the southern region of the state and includes the cities of Irvine, Laguna Hills, Lake Forest, North Tustin, and Villa Park.
- See the live coverage and full results from all US House elections.
- Porter is the first Democrat to ever represent the state's 45th Congressional District.
First-term Rep. Katie Porter is projected to defend her House seat against Republican Greg Raths in Califronia's 45th Congressional District.
Before being elected to office, Porter was a consumer protection attorney for almost 20 years. In 2012, she was appointed by then-California Attorney General Kamala Harris to become the state's independent banks watchdog during a $25 billion national mortgage servicing settlement.
In 2018, Porter defeated two-term incumbent Mimi Walters as part of a Democratic sweep of Orange County, making Porter the first Democrat to ever represent the state's 45th Congressional District. Since joining the House, she has become nationally known for her pointed questions during congressional hearings.
Raths, Porter's challenger, was a member of the US Marine Corps for 27 years before retiring. He later served as the mayor of Mission Viejo for one year. Raths' campaign platform is centered upon supporting veterans, increasing border security, and affordable healthcare.
California's 45th Congressional District is located in the southern region of the state. It is home to Orange County and all of the cities of Irvine, Laguna Hills, Lake Forest, North Tustin, and Villa Park. The district also includes parts of Anaheim Orange, Laguna Woods, Laguna Niguel, and Mission Viejo.
In the 2016 presidential election, the district voted Hillary Clinton over President Donald
The money race
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Porter has raised $14.7 million, spent $5.3 million, and has around $9.4 million in cash on hand. Raths has raised $1.2 million, spent $1 million, and has around $212,000 in cash on hand.
What experts say
The race between Porter and Raths was rated as "safe Democratic" by Inside Elections, The Cook Political Report, and Sabato's Crystal Ball at the University of Virginia Center for Politics.Expanded Coverage Module: insider-voter-guide
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months
- Qmin has been profitable business for IHCL from day one, says Jehangir Press
- India's foreign exchange reserves fall to $573 bn