Fox News joked about DeSantis' glitchy campaign launch to his face
- Ron DeSantis' presidential campaign announcement didn't go as planned — and Fox News joked about it moments later.
- DeSantis joined Trey Gowdy on Fox News for an interview after the glitchy announcement.
After his presidential campaign announcement on Twitter Spaces alongside Elon Musk turned into a glitchy mess, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis appeared on Fox News Wednesday night — only to be teased by host Trey Gowdy.
"I can't promise you that I won't crash, but Fox News will not crash in this interview," Gowdy said, referring to the Twitter Spaces event that had to be shut down and restarted as the system broke.
"If you broke Twitter, my daughter and the Kardashians are going to be very upset with you," Gowdy joked to a smiling DeSantis.
On Fox, DeSantis told Gowdy that they had a "huge audience" for his Twitter Spaces announcement — "the biggest they'd ever had" — and that they "did break the Twitter Space," but that he's excited about the "enthusiasm."
That's not entirely true. A BBC interview with Elon Musk on Twitter Spaces drew in more than 3.3 million listeners in total; The working stream of DeSantis' announcement was watched by 3.1 million users.
While DeSantis was attempting to speak on Twitter, FoxNews.com included a banner with a "programming note" on their site that read: "Want to actually see and hear Ron DeSantis? Tune into Fox News at 8 p.m. ET," according to a screenshot of the site Axios political correspondent Alex Thompson shared on Twitter.
Plenty of others, including DeSantis' biggest 2024 rival, Donald Trump, and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, mocked the new presidential candidate for his bungled announcement.
- Magic Monday spills over to Tuesday- Here’s what you should buy
- Biden nominates Indian-American VC for key post
- Best markets in Amritsar every shopper must visit
- Cyclone Michaung: 8 people dead, subways, roads closed in Tamil Nadu, CM Stalin inspects relief camps in Chennai
- The Sharing Economy