GOP Senator Rick Scott criticized Biden taking a break in Delaware, right before setting off on a luxury yacht vacation to Italy
- GOP Sen. Rick Scott criticized President Joe Biden for going on vacation within the US.
- But Axios reported that soon after he took a vacation himself: a luxury yachting trip to Italy.
Republican Sen. Rick Scott of Florida jetted off on a luxury vacation on a yacht in Italy after criticizing President Joe Biden for taking a vacation, Axios reported.
Three sources familiar with Scott's itinerary told Axios about the trip after the senator blasted Biden for "vacationing in Delaware vs. working at the White House."
—Rick Scott (@SenRickScott) August 22, 2022
A spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), which Scott chairs, confirmed the trip in a statement to the outlet.
"Sen. Scott took a couple days to celebrate his 50th wedding anniversary with his wife and family – a trip that was planned more than a year ago," spokesman Chris Hartline told the outlet.
Hartline in response to a request for comment from Insider described the Axios report as "gossip."
It's not the first time Scott has claimed Biden is not working hard enough, with the senator criticizing Biden for taking "yet ANOTHER vacation" in a tweet in June.
Biden has spent frequent weekends in Delaware, where he has two homes. In August he spent a week in South Carolina and was as of Wednesday spending another week in Delaware, per CNN.
According to the Axios report, Scott is also taking heat from members of his own party for vacationing during the Congressional recess.
As chairman of the NRSC, Scott is charged personally with steering the party to a Senate majority in the November midterms.
Republican candidates in two key races — Pennsylvania and Arizona — are currently polling badly, and Republicans said to be growing concerned that the much-anticipated "red wave" of support for the party in the midterms may not appear.
In an interview Monday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell gave his party a "50-50" chance of winning back control of the Senate.
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine
- Centre's fiscal deficit at Aug-end touches 36% of full-year target: CGA
- Domestic occupiers keep office space demand high in 2023
- Nifty, Sensex bounce back on Friday but experts see resistance at higher levels
- Temperature's Toll: Hospitals see a surge in drug and alcohol abuse-related visits on hotter nights, study reveals