Gov. Gavin Newsom warns 'Trumpism is not defeated in this country' as he is projected to retain his governorship
- September 14 was election day for the
California recall, which sought to replace Gov. Gavin Newsom.
- At 8:21 p.m. PT, Insider and Decision Desk HQ called the race, projecting that Newsom will remain the governor of California.
- "We may have defeated Trump, but Trumpism is not defeated in this country," Newsom said in a press conference.
Gov. Gavin Newsom, who is projected to retain his governorship, thanked voters in a press conference after the polls for the California gubernatorial election closed at 8 p.m. PT on Tuesday.
"We said yes to science, we said yes to vaccines, we said yes to ending this pandemic," Newsom said. "We said yes to diversity, we said yes to inclusion, we said yes to pluralism."
The race was called by Insider and Decision Desk HQ at 8:21 p.m. PT, projecting Newsom will retain his governorship.
The recall election was an attempt to replace Newsom because of how the governor dealt with the "homelessness crisis, high taxes and cost of living, immigration, and rationing water and energy use," Insider's Lauren Firas previously reported.
"I am humbled and grateful to the millions of Californians who exercised their right to vote," said Newsom.
"Democracy is not a football," he added. "You don't just throw it around. It's more like an antique vase. You can drop it and smash it into a million little pieces."
Newsom repeatedly thanked California voters and warned that "Trumpism is not defeated in this country."
"Tonight, I'm humbled, grateful, but resolved in the spirit of my political hero, Robert Kennedy, to make more gentle the life of this world," Newsom said. He closed his remarks by once again thanking voters for rejecting the recall attempt.
The leading GOP candidate, Larry Elder, has yet to respond.
This story is developing. Please check back for updates.
- India's 'FIA Global' pivotal to Nepal's growing GDP in 2022
- Indian government is softening the inflation blow with export bans, duty cuts and subsidies
- Artificial intelligence has helped in developing a drug that can cure COVID-19 patients
- Key facts about Texas mass shooting incident and America’s complex love affair with guns
- Sandalwood smuggler Veerappan's elder brother dies of cardiac arrest
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction