Graphic body cam footage shows violent attack on Paul Pelosi, Nancy Pelosi's husband
- Newly released footage shows Paul Pelosi being struck in the head with a hammer.
- David DePape broke into the Pelosis' home in the early hours of October 28 and attacked Paul.
Newly released body cam footage shows the moment Paul Pelosi — the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — was attacked in his San Francisco home in the early hours of October 28.
The footage, first obtained by NBC Bay Area reporter Bigad Shaban, below shows police arriving at the Pelosi residence.
The footage shows Pelosi struggling with a man — identified by police as David DePape — who takes a hammer and bashes Pelosi over the head with it.
The assault fractured Paul Pelosi's skull; he has since recovered and was released from the hospital. DePape has been charged with a slew of crimes, including assault and attempted murder.
Warning: The following footage is graphic.
—Bigad Shaban (@BigadShaban) January 27, 2023
The October 28 attack came as a shock to the political world. Pelosi recently told the New York Times that it's "going to be about three or four more months" before her husband is "really back to normal."
Over a month after the attack, Pelosi began to re-emerge in public, wearing a hat that concealed his healing skull.
Some figures on the political right downplayed or sought to make light of the attack.
At a rally with former President Donald Trump in Iowa in the days after the attack, Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene used the attack to score political points, saying Pelosi "should have been a gun owner and shot his attacker."
Trump himself alluded to baseless theories about the attack, saying in one interview that there were "weird things going on in that household in the last couple of weeks," while Donald Trump Jr. retweeted a photo of a "Paul Pelosi Halloween costume" composed of a hammer and a pair of briefs. Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas waded into the fray as well.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Fitch Ratings revises outlook on OYO's long-term issuer ratings to 'positive' from 'stable'
- Mahindra Thar, Tata Nexon and more: SUVs with the longest waiting period
- Centre's fiscal deficit for 2022-23 at 6.4% of GDP: CGA data
- Vedanta Resources pays $400 million debt, borrowings down to $6.4 billion
- Stock markets snap four-day gaining streak on weak global cues