How to watch Thursday's congressional hearing on GameStop and Robinhood
- The House Committee on Financial Services called the virtual hearing on recent market volatility.
- The hearing will include CEOs from Robinhood, Citadel, Melvin Capital Management, and Reddit.
- Keith Gill, an armature investor also known as u/DeepFuckingValue and Roaring Kitty, is also due to testify.
Chief executives from Robinhood, Citadel, Melvin Capital Management, and Reddit are expected to testify before
The virtual hearing, titled "Game Stopped? Who Wins and Loses When Short Sellers, Social Media, and Retail Investors Collide," will be hosted by the Chairwoman of the House Committee on Financial Services,
The hearing will include the CEO of Robinhood, Vlad Tenev, the CEO of Citadel, Kenneth C. Griffin, the CEO of Melvin Capital, Gabriel Plotkin, and the CEO and co-founder of Reddit Steve Huffman.Keith Gill, an amateur investor who goes by u/DeepFuckingValue on Reddit and the name Roaring Kitty on YouTube, is also expected to testify. Gill is a leading figure in the Reddit forum Wall Street Bets, which clashed with short-sellers.
In January, members of r/WallStreetBets rallied together to buy shares in GameStop, a struggling electronics retailer. The effort sent the company's stock price soaring. Several hedge funds lost major capital when they had to close out their short positions. Melvin Capital, one of the biggest short sellers of GameStop, lost about 53% of its assets in January.All members and witnesses will participate remotely without being physically present in the hearing room, according to a press release by the House Committee on Financial Services. The purpose of the congressional hearing is to examine the recent activity around GameStop stock and others impacted, short-selling, online trading platforms, and gamification and their impact on capital markets and retail investors, according to Waters.
- Notified new policy on rare diseases, approved budget of Rs 25 crore for treatment: Centre to HC
- Former PM Manmohan Singh admitted to AIIMS after testing positive for COVID-19
- If you are 18 years or older, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine from May 1
- India is promoting a new internet protocol— the government is offering help for websites to migrate
- SaaS unicorn Druva, which manages data for NASA, Pfizer, and GameStop, raises $147 million; valuation crosses $2 billion