'I hope he doesn't run again': GOP Rep. Tom Rice, who voted to impeach Trump over January 6, calls the former president 'the past'
Tom Riceblasted former President Trump's attempts to sway voters in his GOP primary.
- Rice was one of only 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump over his role on January 6.
GOP Rep. Tom Rice, who was one of just 10 Republicans to impeach former President
During an interview with The New York Times, Rice — who is seeking the GOP nomination for a sixth term in his conservative
Rice told the newspaper that he continued to reject Trump's conduct on January 6.
"To me, his gross failure — his inexcusable failure — was when it started," the congressman said of the insurrection.
He continued: "He watched it happen. He reveled in it. And he took no action to stop it. I think he had a duty to try to stop it, and he failed in that duty."
Rice — who was a key player in the Republican tax overhaul championed by Trump in 2017 — then said that a 2024 presidential run by the former president would not be helpful to the party.
"He's the past," the congressman said of Trump. "I hope he doesn't run again. And I think if he does run again, he hurts the
He added: "We desperately need somebody who's going to bring people together. And he is not that guy."
Rice expressed frustration at Trump's attempts to push GOP voters away from him in the primary race.
"Bring on the circus," the congressman said. "You know, some people are afraid of clowns. I'm not afraid of clowns."
During an interview on ABC News earlier this week, Rice said that his vote to impeach Trump for "incitement of insurrection" was made in adherence to the Constitution.
"Defending the Constitution is a bedrock of the Republican platform, defend the Constitution, and that's what I did," he said. "That was the conservative vote. There's no question in my mind."
He emphasized: "I did it then, and I would do it again tomorrow."
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Bill Gates says political polarization 'may bring it all to an end' and could even lead to a civil war
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- 75% off and more – Grab the best deals on laptops, smartwatches, tablets, headphones and more on Amazon today
- Amazon rolled out a live shopping feature via content creators and social media influencers in India
- Real estate demand may take a hit this festive season after RBI’s rate hike
- RBI cuts FY23 GDP growth forecast to 7% as developed world heads into recession
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World