'I saved his life': Trump criticized Brett Kavanaugh after the Supreme Court threw out an election-fraud lawsuit, book says
- Trump slammed Kavanaugh after the
Supreme Courtdismissed an election-fraud lawsuit last year.
- "Where would he be without me?" Trump said, according to a new book. "I saved his life."
- Trump's reaction was detailed in a book by the journalist Michael Wolff.
"There were so many others I could have appointed, and everyone wanted me to," Trump said at the time, according to Wolff's book "Landslide: The Final Days of the Trump Presidency."
The lawsuit launched by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said then-President-elect Joe Biden's victories in key swing states including Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Georgia should be rejected because of unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud. The Trump campaign threw its support behind the bid, which Trump had referred to as "the big one."
But the Supreme Court dismissed the case, saying in a one-page opinion that it lacked standing. The move effectively shut down yet another longshot effort to overturn the 2020 presidential-election results in Trump's favor.
The court's rejection infuriated Trump, who was particularly upset with Justice
"Where would he be without me?" Trump said, according to the book. "I saved his life. He wouldn't even be in a law firm. Who would have had him? Nobody. Totally disgraced. Only I saved him."
Trump nominated Kavanaugh, then a federal judge, to the Supreme Court in July 2018. What followed was one of the most contentious Supreme Court confirmation processes in recent history. The nation grew divided after the research psychologist Christine Blasey Ford accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when they were both teenagers. Kavanaugh denied the allegations. He was ultimately confirmed to the court in a narrow 50-48 Senate vote.
Like the Supreme Court justices, federal judges around the country shut down dozens of cases brought by the Trump campaign to challenge the election results. Federal, state, and local election officials have repeatedly said the 2020 election was fair and accurate and that no widespread voter fraud occurred.
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: Here’s how to check allotment status
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Dolce & Gabbana want to make Elon Musk the ‘King of Crypto’ — but only if he can shell out more than ₹3.8 crore for the ‘Doge Crown’
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million
- Where Indians work — seven charts that show you the employment map of the world’s sixth largest economy
- Alibaba, Binance, Sparkpool and other companies are scrambling to avoid any heat from China over crypto concerns
- Freshworks IPO
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Instagram Posts
- Mukesh Ambani
- Apple iPhone 13
- Girish Mathrubootham
- ITC Share Price
- OnePlus Nord 2 smartphone
- Upcoming Movies in India
- New Smartphone in India
- Finolex Cables Share Price
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Epic Games
- Elon Musk
- Aditya Birla Sun Life
- Rajasthan PTET 2021 result