In Pennsylvania - an important swing state - thousands have quit the GOP since the US Capitol riot
- Almost 19,000 people have quit the
PennsylvaniaGOP this year, The Philadelphia Inquirerreported.
- Nearly twice as many
Republicanshave become Democrats as compared to vice versa.
- That is a marked shift from previous years.
Of the 30,000 Pennsylvanians who have changed their party registration, nearly two-thirds - 19,000 - have been Republicans. Most have elected to become independents, but nearly 29% of party changes been members of the GOP switching their affiliation to Democrat, a reversal from the years 2008 to 2020. By contrast, just 14.5% of registration changes have been Democrats switching over to the Republican Party."Many Republicans are aggrieved and embarrassed by the angry mob that stormed the US Capitol," Kimberly S. Adams, a political science professor at East Stroudsburg University, told the Inquirer.
One effect could be shifting the Pennsylvania GOP, which largely backed Donald Trump's false claims of election fraud, even further to the right. A leading figure in the party, state Sen. Doug Mastriano, for example, helped bus people from Pennsylvania to DC on the day of the US Capitol riot; a possible candidate for governor in 2022, he has campaigned against mask mandates and recently introduced legislation that seeks to prohibit mandatory vaccination.Not all who have quit the party are necessarily opposed to Trump and his brand of
Have a news tip? Email this reporter: email@example.com
- Women in Leadership: Past, Present & Future
- Top stocks to watch out for on March 8
- Karnataka budget 2021-22 to be presented on March 8
- Delhi Budget likely to have special allocation for free COVID vaccination at govt hospitals: Sources
- Future iPhones may arrive with Smart Magnetic Connectors, says report