Indiana governor signs nation's first post-Roe abortion ban moments after it lands on his desk
- Indiana is the first state in the country to pass an abortion ban since Roe v. Wade was overturned.
- The ban makes abortion illegal except in cases of rape, incest, and if death may occur.
Indiana is now the first state to have established an abortion ban since the overturning of Roe V. Wade, the landmark ruling that established abortion rights across the country in 1973, The Indianapolis Star reported.
Indiana lawmakers passed Senate Bill 1 and sent it to Gov. Eric Holcomb's desk late Friday night. He signed it into law not even an hour later.
The bill makes exceptions for abortions on the conditions of rape or incest before 10 weeks after fertilization and in cases where the pregnancy threatens the life of the pregnant individual. The bill adds an additional exception if "the fetus is diagnosed with a lethal fetal anomaly."
Prior to the bill, abortions had been allowed in the state up until 20 weeks post-fertilization since the year 2010.
"Following the overturning of Roe, I stated clearly that I would be willing to support legislation that made progress in protecting life. In my view, SEA 1 accomplishes this goal following its passage in both chambers of the Indiana General Assembly with a solid majority of support," Holcomb said in a statement Friday night.
The ban goes into effect on September 15.
Holcomb and the Indiana legislature did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung launched Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?
- RBI cancels license of Pune-based Rupee Cooperative Bank, says 99% depositors will receive full refund
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?