January 6 committee releases a resolution recommending Mark Meadows be held in contempt of Congress after he stopped cooperating with its investigation
January 6House select committee recommended holding Mark Meadowsin contempt.
- Meadows, the last Trump-era White House chief of staff, withdrew his cooperation with the inquiry.
The House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection at the US Capitol issued a resolution Sunday recommending that Mark Meadows be held in contempt of Congress after he stopped cooperating with its investigation.
Meadows, the last White House chief of staff under President Donald
His initial refusal to cooperate had previously caused the panel to consider holding him in criminal contempt. He began supplying emails and other information this month, however. One of those emails was described in the document released Sunday.
In an email sent January 5, Meadows said the National Guard was on standby to "protect pro Trump people," according to the committee's contempt resolution.
Last week, Meadows filed a lawsuit against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and members of the committee investigating the attack. The lawsuit came a day after his lawyer told the committee that Meadows would no longer cooperate with their investigation and would not provide a deposition.
In his lawsuit, Meadows said the subpoenas were "overly broad and unduly burdensome."
The House is expected to vote this week on holding Meadows in contempt.
A lawyer for Meadows did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- BoB Q3 profit jumps 75% to ₹3,853 crore
- Adani Enterprises to be dropped from Dow Jones sustainability indices
- Coke Studio returns to India with 50 artistes, 10 new tracks
- OPPO Reno8 T 5G vs Nothing Phone (1): Spec comparison
- Oppo Enco Air3 TWS Buds Review: Looks good, sounds better