John Fetterman returning to the Pennsylvania campaign trail with first rally since stroke in May
- Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who is running for Senate, is holding an Aug. 12 rally in Erie.
- Fetterman suffered a stroke just before winning the Democratic primary in May.
Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman is holding his first rally since suffering a stroke more than two month ago, his campaign announced Friday.
The Democratic nominee for Senate, Fetterman has been sidelined since May as he recovers, limiting himself to a single interview and an appearance before campaign volunteers. The Pennsylvania race is one of the Democrats' best chances to pick up a Senate seat, with recent polls indicating that Fetterman is the current favorite to replace retiring Republican Sen. Pat Toomey.
The rally, scheduled for Aug. 12, will take place in Erie.
In a statement on Friday, Fetterman echoed what he said in 2020 about the presidential election: "Whoever wins Erie, wins Pennsylvania." The county, which borders the great lake of the same name, was won by former President Donald Trump in 2016 and President Joe Biden in 2020.
"Erie County is Pennsylvania's most important bellwether county," Fetterman said. "I am honored and proud to be returning to the campaign trail here."
The news comes two days after the campaign of Fetterman's rival, Republican nominee Mehmet Oz, registered a website that attacks the Democrat as a "basement bum," highlighting the fact that he "hasn't attended a public campaign event since May 12th."
Speaking to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last month, Fetterman said he's "feeling really good" since the stroke, while acknowledging some lingering difficulty with processing speech. His campaign has said he is expected to fully recover.
Have a news tip? Email this reporter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?
- RBI cancels license of Pune-based Rupee Cooperative Bank, says 99% depositors will receive full refund