Kayleigh McEnany says she found out Trump had tested positive for COVID-19 while he was on live TV with Fox News' Sean Hannity
Kayleigh McEnanywrites she was told Trump had tested positive for COVID-19as he was on live TV.
- The Wall Street Journal reported last year Trump was told about his positive test before he went on.
Former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany writes in her new memoir that she found out former President
McEnany was informed on the phone by an aide to Trump's chief of staff at the time, Mark Meadows, that Trump's rapid test had come back positive and he was waiting for results from a PCR test to make sure he hadn't received a false positive. McEnany says she asked the aide whether Trump was aware of his positive test result but the aide didn't know.
"Was I learning this information before President Trump?" she says she wondered to herself, adding that she was in "total and complete disbelief."
The Wall Street Journal reported on October 4, 2020, that Trump knew that he'd received a positive rapid test before he went on Fox News. The president confirmed during his interview with Sean Hannity that evening that his close aide Hope Hicks had been infected with the virus and that he was waiting for his own test results. Trump didn't say whether he was awaiting the results of the rapid or PCR test.
"I just went out for a test. They just did it. It'll come back later, I guess — and the first lady also because we spend a lot of time with Hope and others," he told Hannity, saying at another point: "Whether we quarantine or whether we have it, I don't know. ... We'll see what happens. Who knows?"
A few hours later, Trump announced via tweet that he and then-first lady Melania Trump were both infected with the virus.
But Meadows, Trump's fourth and last chief of staff, writes in his forthcoming memoir that Trump tested positive for COVID-19 on September 26, three days before his first presidential debate against Joe Biden, which was held indoors, The Guardian reported on Wednesday. Meadows writes that Trump subsequently tested negative before the debate.
The Fox News host Chris Wallace said Trump arrived too late at the first presidential debate to be tested for COVID-19 at the venue. The debate hosts instead relied on the honor system.
Trump called Meadows' version of the events "fake news" and said he never had COVID-19 before the first debate.
"The story of me having COVID prior to, or during, the first debate is Fake News," Trump wrote in a statement. "In fact, a test revealed that I did not have COVID prior to the debate."
A spokesperson for Trump didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
McEnany writes in "For Such a Time as This: My Faith Journey Through the White House and Beyond" that she reassured Trump during a phone call that he was a "victor" and America would rally around him as they awaited the results of his PCR test.
"'You will rise above this, and America will rise with you,'" McEnany says she told Trump. "'You are a victor.'"
She adds, "'America is going to rally around you,'" and, "'We will overcome.'"
The then-32-year-old press secretary writes that she was "genuinely scared" about what would become of Trump and the country after the diagnosis. McEnany adds that she was concerned for Trump as "a boss and friend whom I grew to know and love."
"To me, this was not just the president of the United States testing positive and being transported to a hospital," she writes.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World