Millionaires at the exclusive Davos retreat in the Swiss Alps have called on world leaders to tax them more
- A group of
millionaireshas demanded that world leaders force them to pay more tax.
- They made the demand at the exclusive
World Economic Forumevent in Davos, Switzerland.
A group of millionaires attending the exclusive Davos retreat in the Swiss Alps has called on world leaders to force them to pay more tax.
On Sunday, several millionaires joined left-wing tax activists on the streets of Davos, Switzerland, where world leaders and members of the business elite have gathered for the World Economic Forum.
"While the rest of the world is collapsing under the weight of an economic crisis, billionaires and world leaders meet in this private compound to discuss turning points in history," Phil White, a member of Patriotic Millionaires, said, per the BBC.
White added: "It's outrageous that our political leaders listen to those who have the most, know the least about the economic impact of this crisis, and many of whom pay infamously little in
Marlene Engelhorn, heir to the chemical corporation BASF, appealed to world leaders to "rebalance the world" and "tax the rich."
"As someone who has enjoyed the benefits of wealth my whole life, I know how skewed our
Energy and food prices continue to rise across the world, pushing up the cost of living and widening the wealth divide.
Speaking ahead of the Davos forum, Kristalina Georgieva, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, said that anxiety over rising food prices was "hitting the roof," leaving "weak" countries open to recession.
During the pandemic, 573 people became billionaires — around one every 30 hours — yet 263 million people are expected to be plunged into poverty this year, the charity Oxfam International said Monday.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World