Mitt Romney says the video of Josh Hawley fleeing the Capitol on January 6 was 'not his greatest moment'
- The January 6 committee released a video of Josh Hawley fleeing the Capitol after pumping his fist at the mob.
- Fellow GOP Sen. Mitt Romney told Insider that the video was not Hawley's "greatest moment."
GOP Sen. Mitt Romney said that a video of fellow Republican Sen. Josh Hawley fleeing the Capitol on January 6, 2021, was not a good look for the Missouri lawmaker.
"You know, I haven't heard what his explanation is, but obviously that was not his greatest moment in that hearing," Romney told Insider at the Capitol on Tuesday.
Romney has previously been critical of efforts to overturn the 2020 election, and pleaded with Republican senators to withdraw their objections to Pennsylvania and Arizona's electoral results following the riot. Nonetheless, Hawley sustained his objections, and told Fox News over the weekend that he has "no regrets" about that day.
During the January 6 committee's primetime hearing last Thursday, Democratic Rep. Elaine Luria of Virginia displayed security camera footage of the freshman Missouri senator running out of the Capitol.
"Earlier that afternoon before the joint session started, he walked across the East Front of the Capitol," said Luria, displaying a now-infamous photo of Hawley giving the mob a fist pump. "As you can see in this photo, he raised his fist in solidarity with the protesters already amassing at the security gates.
Luria said that a Capitol Police officer present at the time told the committee that Hawley "riled up the crowd" and that it "bothered her greatly, because he was doing it in a safe space."
"Later that day, Senator Hawley fled after those protesters he helped rile up stormed the Capitol," Luria said. "See for yourself."
The committee then played the security camera footage, leading the hearing room to erupt in laughter.
This is not the most blistering comments Romney has made towards Hawley. According to The Washington Post, Romney confronted Hawley once senators had been evacuated to a secure location. "You have caused this!" he reportedly said.
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World