Rep. Adam Schiff says it's unlikely that all Americans and allies will get out of Afghanistan by the end of the month, as the Taliban reject efforts to extend deadline
Adam Schiffon Monday expressed doubt all Americans and allies could exit Afghanistanby August 31.
- The White House says more than 37,000 have been evacuated by the US and its allies so far.
- The Taliban, however, warned of consequences if the US tried to extend the end-of-month deadline.
The House Intelligence Committee's chair, Rep. Adam Schiff, on Monday said it was unlikely all Americans and allies would be able to get out of Afghanistan by the August 31 deadline.
"I think it's possible, but I think it's very unlikely given the number of Americans who still need to be evacuated, the number of SIV's, the number of others who are members of the Afghan press, civil-society leaders, women leaders," Schiff told reporters. "It's hard for me to imagine all of that can be accomplished between now and the end of the month."
On Sunday, President Joe Biden suggested delaying the full withdrawal of troops from the country to evacuate more Americans and allies who worked with the US and are at risk of being killed by the Taliban.
The Taliban, however, rejected the suggestions and threatened "consequences" if US troops remained in the country after the deadline.
Thousands of Afghans rushed to leave the country after the Taliban took over August 15. Chaos at Kabul's
More than 37,000 people have been evacuated by the US and its allies so far, the White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, said on Monday.
Other lawmakers have echoed Schiff's outlook. Rep. Jason Crow, an Afghanistan war veteran, also said he didn't think it was possible to get everyone out by the deadline.
"This deadline has got to extend," Crow said in an interview with MSNBC. "There's just no way that we get the people out that we need to get out between now and the end of the month. It's just not going to happen."
- Reliance Retail’s new lifestyle store AZORTE goes high-tech with smart trial rooms, self-checkout kiosks
- Amazon’s 2022 Hardware Event — here’s what's new on Kindle, Echos, Fire TV Cube, and Halo Rise
- Jasprit Bumrah ruled out of T20 World Cup with back stress fracture: Report
- Meet the former Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan — the next Chief of Defence Staff
- Akash Ambani’s keeping up the family tradition of breaking into global lists
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World