GOP Rep. Devin Nunes retains his seat in California's 22nd Congressional District after a challenge from Democrat Phil Arballo
- GOP Rep.
Devin Nuneshas defeated the Democrat Phil Arballo to win reelection in California's 22nd Congressional District, according to Decision Desk HQ.
- The district is located in central California in the San Joaquin Valley.
- Nunes is a former chairman of the US House Intelligence Committee but was investigated amid accusations of leaking classified information to the public. He was ultimately cleared by the House Ethics Committee.
- See the live coverage and full results from all US House elections.
The four-term incumbent Republican Rep. Devin Nunes has defended his seat in the House against the Democrat Phil Arballo in California's 22nd Congressional District, according to Decision Desk HQ.
Before joining the House of Representatives, Nunes was a board member for the College of the Sequoias for six years. In 2001, Nunes was appointed by President George W. Bush to become the California state director for the US Department of Agriculture's Rural Development section. He first joined the House in 2003 as a representative for the state's 21st Congressional District before switching to the 22nd District after a redistricting of the congressional map.
Nunes was appointed as the chair of the US House Intelligence Committee but was forced to temporarily step aside from his role in a House investigation on Russian election interference after being accused of leaking classified information to the public. The House Ethics Committee cleared Nunes of the accusations in March 2017.
In 2019, Nunes attempted to sue Twitter over accusations of censorship and for allowing anonymous accounts, including "Devin Nunes' Cow" and "Devin Nunes' mom," to disparage him on the platform. The lawsuit was dismissed in March of this year after a judge deemed that Twitter was not liable for unflattering tweets.
Arballo is a small-business owner and the chairman of Fresno's Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee. He ran on a platform centered on universal healthcare, a pathway for citizenship for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, and clean drinking water for residents of the Central Valley.
California's 22nd Congressional District is located in central California within the San Joaquin Valley. The district is home to parts of Tulare and Fresno counties as well as the cities of Tulare, Visalia, and Clovis.
In the 2016 presidential election, the district voted for Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton in a 52%-43% split.
The money race
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Nunes vastly outraised his opponent. Nunes raised $23.6 million, spent $17.7 million, and had about $10 million in cash on hand, while Arballo raised $4.3 million, spent $4.1 million, and had about $196,505 in cash on hand.
What experts say
The race between Nunes and Arballo was rated as "likely Republican" by The Cook Political Report and "safe Republican" by Inside Elections and Sabato's Crystal Ball at the University of Virginia Center for Politics.
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter