Rep. Elise Stefanik is the only candidate to replace Liz Cheney, with a vote set for Friday
- Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York is set to take over as House Republican Conference Chair.
- The vote is scheduled for Friday, according to House Republicans.
- Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming was ousted from the post on Wednesday morning.
Rep. Elise Stefanik, a New York Republican and one of former President Donald Trump's most ardent supporters, is set to take over as the third highest ranking official in the House GOP on Friday, according to her Republican colleagues on Capitol Hill.
On Wednesday morning, Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming was ousted from that leadership post as House Republican Conference Chair in a voice vote.
Stefanik is the only candidate to replace Cheney during a vote scheduled to take place Friday.
-Jake Sherman (@JakeSherman) May 12, 2021
Cheney and nine other House GOP colleagues voted to impeach former President Donald Trump for inciting the January 6 insurrection on Capitol Hill. Since then, she has consistently criticized her party's embrace of Trump and his lies about the 2020 presidential election.
Stefanik has repeatedly spread Trump's election lies and has never acknowledged President Joe Biden's victory as being legitimate. She submitted a letter to colleagues on Tuesday asking for their support, staking her pitch on a "communications posture" that will "go on aggressive offense every single day to break through the biased media."
-Elise Stefanik (@EliseStefanik) May 12, 2021
The vote to replace Cheney with Stefanik would be similar to Wednesday's voice vote, with the House GOP conference gathering in private to vote on the change once a member makes a motion.
Stefanik arrived in Washington as a moderate with a focus on recruiting more women to run in Republican Congressional races, earning plaudits as a rising star in the party.
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder