Rep. Liz Cheney questioned if US can be a 'nation of laws' if DOJ does not prosecute former President Donald Trump if there's evidence
- Rep. Liz Cheney said on CNN that there are "facts and evidence" to prosecute Donald Trump.
- If the DOJ doesn't prosecute, Cheney said there could be doubts that the US is a "nation of laws."
GOP Rep. Liz Cheney questioned recently if the US could consider itself a "nation of laws" if the Justice Department decides not to prosecute former President Donald Trump for his role in the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot, "if the facts and evidence are there."
"Understanding what it means if the facts and the evidence are there, and they decide not to prosecute — how do we then call ourselves a nation of laws?" Cheney asked during an interview with CNN on Thursday. "I think that's a very serious, serious balancing."
The decision to bring formal charges against Trump is in the hands of Attorney General Merrick Garland and his Justice Department.
Cheney is the vice chair of the House select committee investigating the Capitol attack and one of two Republicans serving on the committee.
She has been one of the few in her party to criticize Trump following the violence at the Capitol and was one of 10 GOP members to vote to impeach the former president after the Capitol insurrection (the second time the House voted to impeach Trump). The former president was ultimately acquitted in the US Senate.
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?
- RBI cancels license of Pune-based Rupee Cooperative Bank, says 99% depositors will receive full refund