RESULTS: GOP Rep. Vern Buchanan projected to retain his seat against Margaret Good in Florida's 16th Congressional District
- GOP Rep. Vern Buchanan is projected to retain his seat against challenger Democrat Margaret Good in Florida's 16th Congressional District.
- The district is located in central Florida along the state's Gulf coastline. It backed President Trump by a margin of 11 points in 2016.
- See the live coverage and full results from all US House elections.
- Buchanan is currently the 8th wealthiest member of Congress, according to Roll Call.
GOP Rep. Vern Buchanan looks to retain his long-held seat against Democrat Margaret Good in Florida's 16th Congressional District.
Buchanan was first elected to represent Florida's 13th Congressional District in 2007 before redistricting took effect in 2013. He currently sits on the House Committee on Ways and Means where he is the Republican leader on the Subcommittee on Trade. Buchanan is the eighth-wealthiest member of Congress with a reported net worth of $73.9 million, according to Roll Call.
His reelection campaign platform heavily emphasizes his background as a successful business owner, highlighting job creation, lower taxes, and protecting benefits for senior citizens.
Good, Buchanan's challenger, is currently a state representative in the Florida House of Representatives where she represents the state's 72nd District.
She is an attorney in the Sarasota-based firm, Eastmoore, Crauwels & DuBose. She is running her campaign to lower healthcare costs, increasing funding in public schools and higher education, and protecting Florida's natural environment.
Florida's 16th Congressional District is located in central Florida on the state's western coast. The district is home to all of Manatee County and portions of Sarasota and Hillsborough counties as well.
In the 2016 presidential election, the district voted for President Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton by a margin of 11 percentage points in a 54-43% split.
The money race
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Good has raised around $3 million, spent $2.8 million, and has around $198,000 in cash on hand. Buchanan has raised $2.7 million, spent $2.2 million, and has around $608,500 in cash on hand.
What experts say
The race between Buchanan and Good is rated as "likely Republican" by Inside Elections, The Cook Political Report, and Sabato's Crystal Ball at the University of Virginia Center for Politics.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- RIL, PNB, Reliance Capital, Union Bank of India and other hot stocks on November 30
- Star Health IPO opens today — Check out close date, allotment and other important details
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries