Ron DeSantis said he would fire FBI Director Christopher Wray on day one
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the FBI and DOJ have been "weaponized" against conservatives.
- He said that, if elected, he'd fire FBI Director Chris Wray on day one.
Hours after a glitchy campaign announcement on Twitter Spaces on Wednesday that dominated headlines, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said that, if elected, he'd fire FBI Director Christopher Wray on day one of his presidency. That would represent a significant shift in how the executive branch works with the leadership of federal law enforcement.
"I think the DOJ and FBI have lost their way," DeSantis said while speaking to former House Rep. Trey Gowdy on Fox News. "I think that they've been weaponized against Americans who think like me and you, and I think that they've become very partisan."
DeSantis said he believes the DOJ and FBI have become partisan because previous Republican leaders simply "accepted the canard" that the two departments act independently.
"They answer to the elected president of the United States," DeSantis said. "So as president, you have a responsibility to be involved in holding those agencies accountable, clearing out people who are not doing the job.
Christopher Wray was appointed by Donald Trump to lead the FBI, and is a Republican.
The governor of Florida, who's trailing behind former President Donald Trump in national polling, is echoing remarks made repeatedly by Trump in recent months. After pleading "not guilty" to 34 felony counts in April, Trump called on legislators to defund the Department of Justice and FBI.
"REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS SHOULD DEFUND THE DOJ AND FBI UNTIL THEY COME TO THEIR SENSES," Trump posted on Truth Social.
According to CNN, some House Republicans are scoping out ways to defund specific law enforcement programs via appropriations. As the news service noted, congressional support to restrict law enforcement funding arose after FBI agents searched Trump's Mar-a-Lago home in August 2022.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar