Russia is testing a nuclear torpedo in the Arctic that has the power to trigger radioactive tsunamis off the US coast
Russiais testing a nuclear torpedo in the Arctic.
- The "doomsday" device has the power to trigger radioactive tsunamis off America's East Coast.
- The Pentagon said it was watching developments "very closely."
Russia is planning to deploy a nuclear-powered missile to the Arctic next summer that's designed to detonate off the coastlines of enemy countries, CNN reported.
Satellite images provided this week to CNN by Maxar, a satellite company, indicated that Russia is testing weapons in the region and building significant military infrastructure in the Arctic - which is increasingly free of ice because of climate change.CNN reported that Russia would deploy the Poseidon 2M39 missile to its Arctic region next summer. The missile has been referred to in reports as a "doomsday" device because of its devastating power.
Russian President Vladimir
Russia has the world's longest Arctic coastline and derives about a quarter of its GDP from the region, and the Northern Sea Route is a valuable shipping corridor for Moscow.The Pentagon on Monday said it was watching reports of Russian military activities and infrastructure build-ups in the Arctic "very closely." "Without getting into specific intelligence assessments, obviously we're monitoring it very closely," said Pentagon press secretary John F. Kirby at a briefing Monday.
"Obviously we're watching this, and, as I said before, we have national-security interests there that we know ... we need to protect and defend," Kirby said.
"And as I said, nobody's interested in seeing the Arctic become militarized."
- If the COVID-19 vaccine prices are too high for some, then why not use direct benefit transfer
- The COVID-19 crisis in India is getting worse with state administrations trying to hoard oxygen
- On Earth Day, companies commit to adopt more sustainable practices in an attempt to safeguard our tomorrow
- Tiger Global makes its first crypto investment in India making Coinswitch Kuber worth half a billion dollars
- Best pulse oximeters to keep a check on your SpO2 readings