Sen. Raphael Warnock penned a letter to his daughter after Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation: 'She is the first Supreme Court Justice who looks like you'
- Sen. Raphael Warnock penned a touching letter to his daughter following Ketanji Brown Jackson's Supreme Court confirmation.
- "In our nation's history, she is the first Supreme Court Justice who looks like you — with hair like yours," Warnock said.
Sen. Raphael Warnock penned a touching letter to his daughter following Senate's vote to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman Supreme Court Justice.
'This one's for you, Chloé," the Georgia Democrat tweeted Thursday afternoon, accompanied by the letter to his daughter.
Warnock opened the note by telling his daughter that the Senate confirmed the first Black woman to the Supreme Court Thursday.
"In our nation's history, she is the first Supreme Court Justice who looks like you — with hair like yours," the letter said.
He added that the stationery used for the letter was given to him by Vice President Kamala Harris.
"By the way, she is the first Vice President who also looks like you!" Warnock wrote to his daughter.
New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, a Democrat, said that Harris encouraged both he and Warnock to write letters to important young women in their lives after Thursday's historic vote, USA Today reporter Dylan Wells tweeted.
Harris gave both Booker and Warnock Office of the Vice President stationery to write their letters on, Wells said.
"I wrote this to say you can be anything, achieve anything you set your head and heart to do," he concluded.
Jackson was confirmed to the Supreme Court Thursday in a bipartisan 53-47 vote in the Senate.
Jackson is set to be the 116th justice and the first Black woman on the Supreme Court in its 233-year history once retiring Associate Justice Stephen Breyer, 83, steps down this summer.
Warnock's office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
This story is developing. Please check back for updates.
- This Asian currency performed much better than Rupee, and it's not Renminbi, Baht or Ringgit
- Plastic alternatives after the single-use ban
- Best air fryers in India 2022
- Devendra Fadnavis avenges trolls who made fun of his 'Will return' remark' by forgiving them
- IIT Guwahati designs a cooling system that will not require electricity