Senate COVID-19 cases make Supreme Court hearings dangerous, Schumer says
- Moving forward with hearings and a vote on
Amy Coney Barrett's Supreme Court confirmationwould endanger senators and staff to COVID-19, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumersaid in a Sunday press conference.
- Three Republican Senators have tested positive for the coronavirus recently, including two members of the
- Moving forward with the confirmation process "makes no sense," and is "not safe," Schumer said in a press conference.
- A virtual hearing would rob Senators of the chance to question Amy Coney Barrett face-to-face, Schumer added.
Senate Minority Leader
Senators Mike Lee of Utah, Thom Tillis of North Carolina, and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin have all tested positive for the coronavirus since President Donald Trump announced his diagnosis early Friday morning.
The schedule "makes no sense," and Democrats will use "every tool in the toolbox" to prevent a confirmation vote, Schumer said in a press conference.
"He has said it's not safe for the Senate to meet in session, but it's 'ok' to have the hearings," he said. "If it's not safe for the Senate to meet in session, it's not safe for the hearings to move forward."
In-person hearings would also pose considerable health risks to Senate staff, Schumer said.
Tillis and Lee both serve on the Senate Judiciary Committee, and McConnell has also said the hearings for Barrett's confirmation can be attended remotely. While legislators have used virtual hearings for other matters throughout the pandemic, doing so robs the Senate of questioning a nominee who will steer decisions on matters such as abortion rights and the Affordable Care Act, Schumer said.
"A virtual hearing is virtually no hearing at all," the minority leader added.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons