The Biden administration is set to buy 500 million Pfizer vaccine doses to ship around the world, according to reports
- The Biden administration will purchase 500 million doses of the Pfizer
vaccineto ship globally.
- Three sources told the Washington Post about the move, but the
White Housedid not comment.
- An official announcement will reportedly come at this week's G-7 summit in the UK.
The Biden administration is lining up 500 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech's-two shot
The New York Times also reported that the shots will go out to 100 countries over the next two years.
While the White House did not comment, sources told the Post that an official announcement will come at this week's G-7 summit in the United Kingdom.
As the US has steamed ahead with its vaccination efforts - with some states going so far as to offer lottery prizes as supply outstrips demand - pressure has mounted on the Biden administration to send vaccines to developing countries and other areas lagging behind.
This latest development comes on the heels of the Biden administration promising 80 million vaccine doses to be exported in conjunction with the World Health Organization's Covax division.
Biden has also promised to send 25 million vaccine doses to countries in Central and South America, Asia and Africa.
With India experiencing a severe COVID-19 spike this year, the US also sent oxygen supplies, vaccine materials, and therapeutics.
While countries such as the US, the UK, and Israel have vaccinated over half of their populations, the entire continent of Africa only has a roughly 2% vaccination rate.
Beyond the preexisting supply and demand issues, seemingly isolated issues have sent entire countries back in their vaccination efforts. The Johnson & Johnson pause, for example, stalled South Africa's vaccine rollout.
Right before boarding Air Force One on his way to the G-7, Biden said an announcement is on the way.
"I have one, and I'll be announcing it," Biden said when asked about his global vaccine strategy.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons