The EU is paying 35 times as much for Russian fuel as it's given Ukraine for defense, chief diplomat says
- The EU's foreign policy chief said the
EUpays Russiamore for fuel than it's sent to Ukraine.
- He said that since the invasion, the EU had given Russia 35 billion euros for fuel, and 1 billion euros to Ukraine.
The amount of money the
Josep Borrell told the European Parliament on Wednesday that since the invasion, the bloc had paid Russia 35 billion euros ($38 billion) for fuel and sent Ukraine 1 billion euros ($1.09 billion) to bolster its defense against Russia, the BBC reported.
"We have to help [the Ukrainians] defend themselves ... We have given Ukraine 1 billion euros. It might seem a lot but 1 billion euros is what we pay Putin every day for the energy he provides us," he said, according to the BBC.
The EU has imposed heavy sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.
But Europe relies heavily on Russian fuel for energy, which means its actions against Russia are limited unless countries put their own energy supplies, and economies, at risk.
The European Commission announced on Tuesday that the EU would reduce its reliance on Russian gas by two thirds by next year.
The EU is also proposing a ban on Russian coal as part of its fifth round of sanctions against Russia, as well as considering restrictions against oil imports.
But, as Insider's Huileng Tan reported, the EU did not mention natural gas as part of this.
The sanctions are expected to be announced later this week.
- People want bigger homes and reopening offices, schools hasn’t altered this trend
- Prime Minister Modi says extension of free ration scheme will benefit crores during the festive season
- Central government employees given 4% hike in DA ahead of Diwali
- Jewellery chains are growing at the cost of standalone jewellers – and it’s only going to get worse, says World Gold Council report
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World