The Justice Department released a 'bizarre' statement saying it's investigating 'potential issues with mail-in ballots' in Pennsylvania, and no one knows what it means
- The Department of Justice released two statements on Thursday announcing an investigation into "potential issues with mail-in ballots" in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.
- The first statement said a "small number of military ballots were discarded," investigators had "recovered nine ballots at this time," and "all nine ballots were cast for presidential candidate Donald Trump."
- That statement was deleted from the DOJ's website, and a revised statement that was released shortly afterward said seven of the nine ballots were cast for Trump and that it was unknown whom the remaining two were cast for.
- Both statements set off alarm bells with election experts and DOJ veterans who said they likely violated the department's policy and appeared to be politically motivated in light of Trump's baseless attacks on voting by mail.
- It was unclear whether the ballots the statement said were "discarded" were cast as part of the primary or general election, and experts said it was also highly unusual for the statement to disclose whom voters cast their ballots for.
The Department of Justice on Thursday released a statement saying it was investigating "reports of potential issues with mail-in ballots" in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.
Initially, the department announced a "small number of military ballots were discarded" and that investigators had "recovered nine ballots at this time." It added that "all nine ballots were cast for presidential candidate Donald Trump."
However, the statement was deleted from the DOJ's website shortly afterward and a revised statement was released.
—Philip Bump (@pbump) September 24, 2020
The second statement said "of the nine ballots that were discarded and then recovered, 7 were cast for presidential candidate Donald Trump. Two of the discarded ballots had been resealed inside their appropriate envelopes by Luzerne elections staff prior to recovery by the FBI and the contents of those 2 ballots are unknown."
The revised statement said the FBI's field office in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, began investigating the matter on Monday along with the US Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. It said the inquiry was launched at the request of Luzerne County District Attorney Stefanie Salavantis and focused on "reports of potential issues with a small number of mail-in ballots at the Luzerne County Board of Elections."
The statement said FBI agents working with the Pennsylvania State Police had since conducted "numerous interviews and recovered certain physical evidence" and that Luzerne County election officials "have been cooperative."
"Our inquiry remains ongoing and we expect later today to share our up to date findings with officials in Luzerne County," the statement added.
Both statements raised red flags with election experts and DOJ veterans who said they appeared to be politically motivated and may have violated department policy. It was also unclear what the statements meant when they said the ballots had been "discarded" and whether the ballots in question were primary or general-election ballots.
A DOJ spokesperson did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
"This is both bizarre and disturbing — US Attorney's Offices don't issue reports on pending investigations — and certainly not reports so blatantly contrived to provide political ballast for a sitting President's campaign narrative," David Laufman, a former senior official in the DOJ's national security division, wrote on Twitter.
Indeed, shortly after the DOJ released its initial statement on the investigation, Matt Wolking, a deputy communications director for the Trump campaign, tweeted that the announcement was proof "Democrats are trying to steal the election."
Kayleigh McEnany, the White House press secretary, also pointed to the first statement, tweeting, "Nine military mail-in ballots — ALL cast for President @realDonaldTrump — were found discarded in Pennsylvania! DOJ confirms."
Trump and congressional Republicans have made a flurry of baseless attacks on voting by mail and mail-in ballots in recent months. The president has suggested without evidence that an increase in mail-in ballots amid the COVID-19 pandemic will lead to widespread voter fraud and a "rigged" general election.
Nonpartisan experts and multiple studies have found no evidence of widespread voter fraud, and millions of Americans vote by mail every year. Trump and many of his top staff and family members have also voted by mail or tried to in recent years. And the president's campaign and Republican officials are quietly encouraging absentee and mail-in voting amid fears that Trump's claims will hurt Republicans by depressing turnout among his own voters, The Associated Press reported in May.
Elie Honig, a former longtime federal prosecutor from the Southern District of New York, told Business Insider that it was not only unusual for the DOJ to issue such a statement about an ongoing investigation but also "against DOJ's own stated policy."
Moreover, he said, "The fact that the purportedly discarded ballots were cast for Trump is entirely irrelevant to any criminal investigation. It's fodder for a political talking point."
Rick Hasen, a professor of law and political science at the University of California, Irvine, and an election-security expert, wrote on Twitter that it was "shocking" for the DOJ to announce who voters cast their ballots for. "The release of that information seems to be for political reasons," he wrote.
David Becker, a former voting-rights attorney at the DOJ, echoed that view and highlighted a number of other irregularities in the DOJ's statement.
"Even more unexplainable is the fact that DOJ has already revised the statement," he tweeted. "Now it's only 7 votes, and no explanation of how these were discarded or found, or why they were opened, nor why they disclosed Pres vote at all, violating secrecy, and not other races."
- In yet another setback to Ola's quality control, a user has alleged that his Ola S1 Pro's front suspension broke while driving
- Kia EV6 is now up for pre-booking in India — All you need to know about the futuristic electric vehicle
- IT jobs are safer than startup jobs but a salary bubble burst awaits them
- This travel agency stock has given 183% returns in a year - after pandemic changed its fortunes
- Gautam Adani crashes out of the $100 billion club, but still is 10x richer than he was 2 years back
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction