Trump vows Liz Cheney will be defeated after a pro-impeachment GOP lawmaker lost to a Trump-backed challenger
- Trump lashed out at Rep.
Liz Cheneywhile basking in the defeat of another pro-impeachment lawmaker.
- Trump has made it his mission to chase pro-impeachment lawmakers out of the GOP.
"Same thing's going to happen in
Cheney and Rice were among the 10 House Republicans who broke with their party and voted to impeach Trump on a charge of "incitement of insurrection" last year in the wake of the Capitol attack. Only six of those Republicans are running for reelection in this year's midterms, and Rice is the first in that cohort to lose a primary.
With an estimated 95% of the results in, Rice is projected to lose to former state lawmaker and Trump-backed candidate Russell Fry, per Decision Desk HQ and Insider. In a sign of the extent of his defeat, Rice is currently trailing by more than 26 percentage points, a shellacking for a five-term incumbent.
Trump has made it abundantly clear that his mission is to rid the
The former president has repeatedly taunted Cheney and her father, former Republican Vice President Dick Cheney. Trump has taken to calling the lawmaker a "war criminal" and delights in attacking the family for their support of the Iraq War, although Trump himself at the time, then-an emerging reality TV star, also supported the conflict.
Cheney has stood her ground against Trump and characterized herself as a defender of the Constitution. There has been no significant independent polling of the race as of yet. Cheney has amassed a large campaign war chest compared to Hageman so far.
Cheney's campaign did not respond to Insider's request for comment.
Though Rice lost his primary, Trump appears to be losing at least some of his grip over the GOP based on other recent primary elections. Rep. Nancy Mace, who ran against a Trump-backed opponent in South Carolina's 1st Congressional District, edged out her primary challenger on Tuesday evening.
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who Trump heavily targeted because they refused to challenge the 2020 election results, also both coasted to victory in their primaries against Trump-endorsed candidates last month. Rep. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, who Trump threw his support behind, lost his primary last month as well.
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala