US attorney general says money from Russian oligarchs' seized assets should go 'directly to Ukraine'
- US Attorney General said he supports the idea of some proceeds from oligarch seizures going to
- Merrick Garland said he expects requests for legislative changes to make it easier to seize assets.
US Attorney General Merrick Garland told Congress on Tuesday that he's in favor of some of the proceeds from Russian oligarch seizures going straight to Ukraine.
Garland had been explaining to the Senate Appropriations Committee how the US Justice Department deals with proceeds from Russian assets that have been recovered.
"The money would go into the asset forfeiture fund. So, first thing we have to do is freeze the assets," Garland told the committee. "We would support legislation that would allow some of that money to go directly to Ukraine."
The Justice Department's new task force, called "Operation KleptoCapture," was set up in early March to help detain the private jets, superyachts, and real estate of sanctioned Russian
Garland also told the committee that he expected there would be requests for legislative changes to make it easier to seize sanctioned Russians' assets and taking money out of the asset forfeiture fund to send to Ukraine.
"I expect very soon, within days probably, that the administration will be able to present some request," Garland said.
Garland's comments follow President Joe Biden's announcement on Thursday that the US would send $800 million worth of aid to Ukraine.
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- RBI hikes repo rate by 50 bps, taking it to a three-year high of 5.9% – Das says inflation at ‘alarmingly high levels’ across jurisdictions
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- This website generates videos from a single image and text for free – here’s all you need to know
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World