USPS says it's removing mailboxes and suspending mail collection in several major cities ahead of Biden's inauguration
- The US Postal Service will remove some mailboxes and halt collection in several major cities as a safety measure ahead of next week's presidential inauguration.
- States and cities across the country are expecting unrest in the days leading up to January 20.
The US Postal Services said it will remove mailboxes in several major cities as a security measure ahead of Joe Biden's Inauguration next week.
As a security measure ahead of the January 20 event, mailboxes in at least 17 states including California and New Jersey, as well as Washington, DC, will be temporarily removed, several press releases from
"It's part of our normal procedures to keep our employees and customers safe during times of protest or when large crowds are gathered near postal facilities, on postal routes, or by mailboxes," USPS spokesman David Partenheimer told Insider.
Read also: 'It was degrading': Black Capitol custodial staff talk about what it felt like to clean up the mess left by violent pro-Trump white supremacists
At least 14 post offices in DC will also be closed on Inauguration Day, the Postal Service said in a statement.
States and cities are bracing for more civil unrest ahead of Biden's inauguration. On January 6, supporters of President Donald Trump breached the US Capitol and clashed with law enforcement, halting the joint session of Congress as lawmakers were debating challenges to electoral votes.
Five people died, including a Capitol Police officer and a woman who was shot by law-enforcement officials while participating in the riot.
Afterward, an FBI bulletin warned that in the days leading up to the inauguration, "armed protests" are expected to take place at the US Capitol and state capitols across the country.
The USPS security measure is also in anticipation of the unrest.
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore