Watch: Steve Bannon surrenders to the FBI after being indicted on 2 counts of contempt of Congress
- Steve Bannon surrendered to authorities on Monday morning.
- The DOJ indicted Bannon on 2 counts of contempt of Congress last week.
Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon surrendered to the FBI on Monday morning after being indicted last week.
The Justice Department charged Bannon, a longtime ally of former President Donald Trump, with two counts of contempt of Congress. He is expected to appear in court on Monday afternoon.
"We're taking down the Biden regime," Bannon told reporters as he surrendered himself.
-Manu Raju (@mkraju) November 15, 2021
Friday's charges came after Bannon refused to comply with a subpoena issued by the House Select Committee investigating the January 6 Capitol riot. He rejected the committee's demand that he sit for a deposition and produce relevant documents. The panel moved to pursue criminal contempt charges against him last month.
The Justice Department has previously declined to enforce criminal contempt referrals, but both Democrats and Republicans on the select committee said they expected that to change under the Biden administration.
Attorney General Merrick Garland highlighted the apolitical nature of Bannon's indictment in a statement announcing the charges Friday.
"Since my first day in office, I have promised Justice Department employees that together we would show the American people by word and deed that the department adheres to the rule of law, follows the facts and the law and pursues equal justice under the law," the statement said. "Today's charges reflect the department's steadfast commitment to these principles."
This story is developing. Check back for updates.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- Revenge spending effect: Household savings dip to 5 -year low
- With no signs yet of inflation cooling, experts predict more rate hikes
- Covid hit mental health of kids, young people harder than thought
- Smog envelops Delhi, AQI remains in 'very poor' category
- Egypt president to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World