What happened last week? The House held its GameStop hearing, Texans lost power, NASA's Mars Rover landed, and Ted Cruz went to Cancun.
- What happened last week? Robinhood's CEO testified in a House committee.
- A winter storm cut off power to millions in
Ted Cruzfaced criticism for the timing of his family trip to Mexico.
What happened last week?
NASA's Perseverance rover landed safely on Mars last week. Mission control hosted a live broadcast during the landing. The rover started beaming back photos, and, in the coming days, it plans to launch a small helicopter to study the Red Planet. You can read all about the biggest space stories of the year here.
Here's what else happened last week.
Robinhood and Reddit went (virtually) to Washington
The House Committee on Financial Services last week held its hearing on the
Gill told the committee: "I am not a cat. I am not an institutional investor. Nor am I a hedge fund."
Robinhood CEO, Vlad Tenev, also appeared. He apologized to the family of a 20-year-old trader who died by suicide after the Robinhood app showed a negative balance of about $730,000.
Texans lost power during a winter storm
As the storm hit, António Guterres, UN secretary-general, said it was clear climate change was making storms worse.
"If you look at hurricanes, if you look at storms, but also if you look at heat waves and cold waves, they are becoming more extreme because of climate change," Guterres said.
Senator Ted Cruz went to Mexico
The forecast called for low 80s and sun, according to The Weather Channel. But Cruz headed back to Texas a day after arriving, amid mounting criticism about the timing of his trip.
"With school cancelled for the week, our girls asked to take a trip with friends," Cruz said on Thursday in a statement.
Here's a timeline of how senator political rivals Ted Cruz and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reacted to the disaster.
The week before last, South Korean manufacturer Hyundai denied being in talks with Apple over the vehicle.
Here's what happened the week before last. See you next week.
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Workplace recognition, and not salary, is top criteria for job seekers in India: report
- Sports goods, furniture and shoes lead India’s retail growth this festive season: RAI
- ACCA and IMA: economy survey reveals the biggest ever drop in economic confidence
- India moves up one spot in global rankings for median mobile speeds: Report
- Exponent Energy raises $13 million to scale up its rapid charging points across the country