'What the hell is wrong with this guy?' Biden slams Trump for his response to the plot to kidnap Michigan governor
- Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Friday slammed President Donald Trump for his response to the foiled kidnapping attempt of Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
- "To kidnap an American leader is the sort of behavior you might expect from ISIS and should shock the conscience of every American," Biden said.
- Following news of the attempted kidnapping of Whitmer, Trump tore into the governor who has been an outspoken critic of the president, saying she's "done a terrible job."
- "Attacking Gov. Whitmer on the same day this plot was exposed is despicable," Biden said about Trump.
Former Vice President Joe Biden on Friday slammed President Donald Trump for his response to the foiled kidnapping attempt of Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, saying it's "stunning" he didn't condemn the people behind it.
"We have no need for armed militias roaming America's streets, and we should have no tolerance for extremist white supremacist groups menacing our community," Biden said, speaking at a campaign rally in Michigan. "These guys are hatching violent, deranged schemes like the one against Gov. Whitmer."The FBI said the agency has arrested a group of militia members last week on charges of suspicion to plot to kidnap and hold her hostage. The men behind the foiled attempt had been monitoring Whitmer's vacation home and building bombs, according to the FBI.
Biden went on to condemn Trump for his response, accusing him of stoking tensions and division in the country."But all President Trump does is fan the flames of hatred and division in this country," he said. Biden then referenced a moment during the first presidential debate when Trump told the Proud Boys to "stand back and stand by," words that were perceived by the hate group as a call to action.
Following news of the attempted kidnapping of Whitmer, Trump had not denounced the men allegedly behind the attack but tore into the governor, saying she's "done a terrible job.""She locked down her state for everyone, except her husband's boating activities," he tweeted."My Justice Department and Federal Law Enforcement announced today that they foiled a dangerous plot against the Governor of Michigan. Rather than say thank you, she calls me a White Supremacist," Trump continued, adding that he does not condone "ANY extreme violence."
—Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 9, 2020
Whitmer after the arrests criticized Trump for his rhetoric, calling him "complicit" in stoking extreme violence in the United States.
"I'm not going to waste my time arguing with the president," she said. "But I will always hold him accountable. Because when our leaders speak, their words carry weight."Biden at the campaign rally praised Whitmer, who had once been considered a potential running mate. Biden said he and his wife Jill "are so grateful that the governor and her family are safe."
"Attacking Gov. Whitmer on the same day this plot was exposed is despicable," Biden said about Trump.
"What the hell's the matter with this guy?" Biden said.
- Everybody in India must get Covid vaccine free, says Kejriwal
- Samsung now lets you buy up to four products in one single EMI as it seeks to boost sales this festive season
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise