Indian funding deal value in the first three months of 2019 is over half of last year's total
- Through 159
deals, India saw PE-VC investments worth $10 billion in Q1 2019.
- The investment value is 26% up from the same quarter in 2018.
- It’s still large ticket deals and not the number of deals that has contributed to the growth.
AdvertisementIn the first quarter of 2019, India has seen a great deal of activity in the
The total investment value is up by 26% from the same quarter in 2018.
According to a report by Grant Thornton, the total PE, VC funding stood at $20.5 billion in 2018 through 786 deals. Now, in 2019, the country has already seen an investment value of $10 billion in just three months, which goes on to show that India is set to witness a higher funding and bigger deals this year.
The major beneficiaries so far this year happened to be companies related to infrastructure holding 48% of the investment value in Q1 which were worth $4.9 billion.
In the tech deals, it was Delhivery and Firstcry’s funding from Softbank that contributed to the investment growth from the VC side. Delhivery had raised $395 million from Softbank in early March, while the Japanese investment firm had pumped in $150 million in the babycare startup Firstcry.
However, the investment value growth continues to be because of large ticket deals. Number of deals from the VC segment stood at 94 in Q1 19, while Q1 18 had seen 124 deals, stated Venture Intelligence.
Large ticket deals drive rise in private equity investments in India this year
Delhivery becomes India’s first unicorn in 2019, thanks to SoftBank
Popular on BI
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- Armed Trump supporters protest outside FBI office in Phoenix following Mar-a-Lago raid: reports
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months