Raghuram Rajan pitches for longer tenure for RBI Governor, says three years is short
While briefing Parliament's Standing Committee of Finance, Rajan said, “a three-year term is short.
On whether it should be five years, Rajan is believed to have cited the case of US
In the US Fed, in addition to serving as members of the Board, the Chairman and Vice-Chairman serve terms of four years and may be reappointed to those roles who in turn serve until their terms as Governors expire.
Rajan, whose current three-year tenure ends on September 4, has already said no to a second term.
Sources further said that during the meeting that lasted for over three hours, the Governor briefed the panel, headed by senior Congress leader M
The committee was apprised by Rajan of the various steps taken to deal with the bad loan problem, said the sources.
The Reserve Bank has said the gross non-performing assets of the banks can rise to as high as 9.3 per cent in 2016-17 after hitting 7.6 per cent in March 2016.
Rajan, the sources added, also briefed MPs about the credit scenario of the banks. He is believed to have told the MPs that private lenders are more active on the lending front, but PSU banks are found to be reluctant even when there is no shortage of funds.
The Governor also explained to MPs the impact of
AdvertisementEarlier in the day, Rajan called on Finance Minister Arun Jaitley as the central bank and the government seek to quickly put in place a new interest rate-setting mechanism.
Popular on BI
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World