RBI agrees to give payments bank license to 11 applicants
AdvertisementA total of 11 companies have been given ‘in-principle’ approvals for 3 years to set up payment banks. After the stipulated period they will be handed licenses if they fulfill all conditions listed by the RBI.
The list of successful applicants includes Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India, Reliance Industries, a joint venture of Aditya Birla Nuvo, Idea Cellular and the country's Postal service.
Payments banks can accept deposits and remittances but can’t offer loans.
Image credit: Indiatimes
Popular on BI
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x
- After JP Morgan, Indian bonds set to enter other global bond indices; capital raising for infra push to get a boost
- 10 calcium-rich foods to ward Off calcium deficiency
- Amazon introduces next-gen of Echo smart devices with new-age AI