Reliance Jio will take 2 years to meet Mukesh Ambani's 500 million target at the current rate
Reliance Jioadded 8.26 million users in June, while Vodafone Idea lost 4.1 million.
- At the recent Reliance AGM, Ambani had set a target of reaching 500 million users.
- Vodafone Idea has now lost 31.75 million users since January 2019.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Jio currently stands with the grand total of 331.2 million subscribers.
Between January and June 2019, Reliance Jio has added 41.76 million users – an average of about 7 million a month. At this rate, it will take Jio roughly another two years to hit its 500 million subscribers target. It took Jio two and a half years to reach the 300 million mark.
However, if Ambani decides to pick up pace, it may be bad news for Airtel and Vodafone-Idea. He may turn his attention to aggressive plans like the one for JioFiber to target postpaid users.
Postpaid customers form 4-5% of the telecom subscribers in India, but they make up for 20% of the total revenue.
AdvertisementVodafone Idea continued to lose subscribers, down 4 million users in June, while Airtel held its count at 320.3 million.
Since January 2019, Vodafone Idea has lost 31.75 million users, and its total is now at 383.4 million subscribers.
Meanwhile, troubled state-owned player BSNL managed to break the dormancy of the previous two months, and now has 116.1 million subscribers, a small spike from its previous 115.8 million.
Popular on BI
- GST Council meet: No new tax on food delivery apps Swiggy, Zomato
- SBI, Kotak Mahindra and others cut home loan rates ahead of festive season
- Virat Kohli's T20I journey as captain is better than Dhoni's
- Gen Z decoded: MTV's latest report reflects Gen Z’s behavior patterns,mindsets, habits and perceptions
- From ecommerce to payments — here are the top funded business models of last one year