Kroger just opened its first restaurant - and the food looks nothing like what you'll find in the grocery store
- Kroger opened a new restaurant concept called Kitchen 1883.
- The company will open additional locations adjacent to its grocery stores if the concept is successful.
Kroger, the nation's largest grocery chain, is diving into the restaurant business.
The grocer just opened its first standalone restaurant, called Kitchen 1883, adjacent to one of its stores in Union, Kentucky - and the meals look nothing like what you can find in one of Kroger's grocery stores.
Check it out.
Kitchen 1883, led by executive chef Chris Bushelman, serves a menu of what it calls "new American comfort food." The name of the restaurant alludes to the year that Kroger founder Barney Kroger started the grocery chain.
The full-service restaurant serves lunch and dinner on weekdays, as well as brunch on the weekends.Advertisement
Kitchen 1883 also serves wine, beer and cocktails.
The restaurant's menu will change according to what produce is in season. Prices for main dishes range from $10 for a chicken wrap to $18 for braised beef short ribs.Advertisement
Kroger is the nation's largest grocery chain with more than 2,800 locations. The company is testing the waters in the restaurant industry at a time when US shoppers are seeking out prepared foods more than ever before.
Kroger spokeswoman Kristal Howard said the company will open more restaurants if Kitchen 1883 is successful.Advertisement
"Kitchen 1883 is a test kitchen for us, and this pilot and our guests will help us shape future restaurant concepts and expansion plans," she said.
- It only takes 50 tweets to find a troll on Twitter
- Best neckband headphones for a rich audio experience
- India’s first private player to successfully test a homegrown rocket engine is on track for its first full rocket launch by 2021
- Hiring is on a slow rise in India, but the numbers are nowhere close to pre-COVID levels
- Microsoft confirms Xbox Series X to launch in November