More than 2,000 new stores are opening in 2019 as Dollar General, TJ Maxx, and Aldi defy the retail apocalypse
- Dollar General, Aldi, TJ Maxx, Costco, and Walmart are among more than a dozen retailers that are planning to open new stores in 2019.
- Overall, retailers plan to open more than 2,000 new stores this year, according to a Business Insider analysis.
- This compares to the 5,300 stores that retailers are planning to close this year.
Many of the retailers that are opening new stores in 2019 are discounters, including Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Aldi, and TJ Maxx.
Here's the full list of companies opening stores.
Dollar General: 975 stores
Dollar Tree: 350 storesAdvertisement
Family Dollar: 200 stores
Ulta: 80 stores
HomeGoods: 65 storesAdvertisement
TJ Maxx and Marshalls: 60 stores
Abercrombie & Fitch: 40 storesAdvertisement
Sprouts Farmers Market: 30 stores
Target: 23 storesAdvertisement
Costco: 20 stores
Dry Goods: 19 storesAdvertisement
HomeSense: 15 stores
Walmart: fewer than 10 storesAdvertisement
Sierra Trading Post: 10 stores
Nordstrom: 7 storesAdvertisement
Kohl's: 4 stores
Wegmans: 3 storesAdvertisement
Whole Foods: 2 stores
- On World Tourism Day, India’s Oil Minister asks prime tourist cities in the country to completely switch to clean fuels
- President Ram Nath Kovind approves all three farm bills which have been the reason for farmers' protests across the country
- Four Delhi cops face heat for misreporting drug seizure
- Former union minister Jaswant Singh passes away at 82
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine