2022 is expected to be the first trillion-dollar year for online sales, largely thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic
- E-commerce sales hit a record in 2020, signaling the potential for a trillion-dollar year in 2022.
Adobedata show online shopping will likely be between $850 billion to $930 billion in 2021.
- The COVID-19
pandemicgave e-commerce an "extra boost."
E-commerce will have its first trillion-dollar year of sales in 2022 as people continue to shift their spending habits online amid the COVID-19 pandemic, new data from Adobe projects.
The pandemic gave e-commerce sales an "extra boost" as consumers moved online to meet their daily needs, Adobe said in its report. In 2020, online consumer spending hit a record $813 billion, which was a 42% increase from 2019.
For the current year, Adobe predicts online sales will be between $850 billion and $930 billion, paving the way for 2022 to become the first trillion-dollar year in e-commerce. Those sales are likely to come through smartphones, Adobe reported, estimating that the devices would account for more than half of e-commerce spend in 2022.
Read more: Top VCs say they want to fund startups that solve retailers' biggest problem - e-commerce logistics
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which struck the US about a year ago, consumers have built an online shopping muscle that's likely here to stay. Last week, a Mastercard executive said the pandemic forced e-commerce sales to accelerate by about two years.
In the first two months of the new year alone, consumers spent $121 billion online, a 34% increase from the same time last year, before the pandemic struck. Buying groceries,
This year, retailers will likely continue to ramp up their digital offerings, such as the ability to buy online and pickup in store, which became especially popular during the pandemic. Amid the shift, accounting firm BDO said about half of retailers are planning digital makeovers this year as the future of shopping turns to digital.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Meet the newest employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar