4 waitresses carried an Animal Rebellion protester out of Salt Bae's London steakhouse on Saturday night
- Diners applauded as staff physically removed Animal Rebellion activists from the Nusr-Et Steakhouse.
- The restaurant serves gold-plated steaks that cost as much as $1,750.
Waitresses physically removed animal rights protesters from Salt Bae's steakhouse in an upmarket part of London on Saturday night following a non-violent protest.
Eight protesters from Animal Rebellion entered the restaurant and sat at empty tables holding mock menus outlining their demands, the Evening Standard reported.
In a video tweeted by the group, one activist was carried out of the restaurant by four staff members to the applause of diners shortly before 7pm.
—Animal Rebellion (@RebelsAnimal) December 3, 2022
Nusret Gökçe, better known as Salt Bae, rose to fame after his salt-sprinkling technique went viral online. The Turkish butcher, chef and restaurateur owns a chain of steakhouses.
The London branch targeted by Animal Rebellion serves gold-plated steaks costing up to £1,450 (almost $1,800).
Activists raised concerns about the employees' actions. One protester told the Press Association: "I'm not sure they're allowed to do that."
Another, identified as 21-year-old Orin Cooley-Green, said: "It was tougher than police would do it."
Activist Ben Thomas, 20, said in a statement: "Restaurants like these are symbolic of a broken system. Whilst 2 million people are relying on food banks in the UK right now, influencer chefs are selling gold-plated steaks for more than £1,000."
Animal Rebellion is calling for "a plant-based food system and mass rewilding." In a press release, the group said they targeted Nusr-Et because steaks, and other red meats, carry "the highest environmental impacts."
The group also occupied the Michelin-starred Mana restaurant in Manchester in northwest England on Saturday night. Police removed a number of protesters following the peaceful action and Animal Rebellion said in a tweet that arrests were made.
Nusr-Et did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Insider.
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder