A UBS report says Dollar General pays workers the least among 25 major retailers, even as the discount chain thrives amid the pandemic
Dollar Generalpays employeesthe least out of 25 major retailers in the US, according to a UBS report.
- Dollar General pays employees about $9.68 an hour on average, while competitor Walmart pays about $13, according to self-reported Payscale data.
- One Dollar General employee recently sued the chain for $1 million after surviving three armed store robberies.
- If you work at Dollar General and have information to share, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dollar stores are thriving amid the pandemic, but their workers are among the lowest paid in the
Among 25 major US retailers, Dollar General pays employees the least at $9.68 an hour on average, UBS said in a report that analyzed self-reported wages on Payscale. Dollar Tree and Dollar King follow closely behind at $10, and $10.11, respectively.By comparison, Walmart pays employees $13.08 an hour on average per UBS. Target recently raised its minimum wage to $15 an hour.
Dollar General spokesperson Crystal Ghassemi declined to confirm the hourly wage, but said the company's goal is to "
As a result of the pandemic- induced sales boom, Dollar General boasted a 27.6% quarterly increase in net sales this May, outpacing other dollar stores and big-box retailers like Walmart and Target.While Dollar General is thriving, some employees say they face violence on the job. Recent reporting in CNN and ProPublica found dollar stores in general are prime targets for robberies and violent crimes due to their presence in "high-crime neighborhoods." One Dollar General employee recently sued the chain for $1 million after surviving three armed robberies between November 21, 2017 and November 9, 2018.
Business Insider reached out to Dollar King and Dollar Tree for additional comment.
If you have information to share, email the author at email@example.com.
- Lunar eclipse today: When and where to watch the fourth and final Chandra Grahan this year
- China's Chang'e-5 probe prepares for a soft landing on the moon
- AR Rahman becomes BAFTA Breakthrough India ambassador
- 'Delhi Chalo' march: Shabad, Gurbani resonates as farmers' protests enter fifth day on Gurpurab
- With over 38,000 new COVID-19 cases, India's tally crosses 9.4 million