Amazon reveals how much it paid its median employee last year: $29,007
- The median
Amazonworker made $29,007 in 2020, a $159 increase from the year prior.
- The CEO-to-worker pay ratio is 58:1 at Amazon, which is lower than
Walmart, CVS, and others.
- Amazon raised its minimum wage in the US to $15 per hour in 2018.
The median Amazon worker made $29,007 in 2020, according to the company's annual proxy statement.The median pay, calculated using the
But that's just Bezos' salary. The Amazon CEO's net worth ballooned by tens of billions of dollars during the COVID-19 pandemic as the company's shares rallied amid the rise in online shopping. Bezos owns about 10% of Amazon stock or 53 million shares.The CEO, who is stepping down from his role later this year, has a nearly $200 billion fortune, making him the wealthiest person in the world. He's rivaled by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, whose worth has passed him a couple times this year, according to Fortune. But Bezos remains at the top.
Four months into the pandemic last June, Amazon dropped its $2-per-hour hazard-pay bump for 250,000 warehouse
Full-time US workers also got an approximate $1,500 boost in 2019 from the year prior after the e-commerce giant raised its US minimum wage at the end of 2018 to $15 an hour. The company had faced criticism for the wage gap between workers and C-suite executives, CNBC reported at the time.In his final letter to shareholders as CEO, Bezos wrote that, "Two and a half years ago, when we set a $15 minimum wage for our hourly employees, we did so because we wanted to lead on wages - not just run with the pack - and because we believed it was the right thing to do." The company previously called out other big employers, including Walmart, for not raising its wages to $15.
Bezos said in the letter the company is aiming to be "Earth's best employer."two workers at the Bessemer, Alabama warehouse, which voted against forming a union earlier this month, said they didn't want a union because of the good pay and benefits at the company.
- Best mini fridge in India in 2021
- Branded fully automatic washing machines for large families
- Best fully automatic washing machines for effortless washing in India
- India is seeking details on the rise in Swiss bank deposits from the South Asian country
- A UN report says India's new IT rules do not conform with international human rights norms