Anti-lockdown California café owner is charging customers $5 if they wear masks but says he will donate the money to charity
Californiacafé owner is charging customers $5 if they wear masks, Fox Business reports.
- Fiddleheads Café paid a $10,000 fine in 2020 for failing to certify it was following safety measures.
- Café owner Chris Castleman said the fee money would go to charities.
A California café owner has said he will charge customers $5 if they wear masks inside his restaurant to push back against
Chris Castleman, owner of Fiddleheads Café, told Fox host Stuart Varney in an interview that he was against
Castleman said that customers have mostly responded well to the new charge.
Castleman told Fox he would donate the extra money to charities "dealing with the overwhelming consequences of the lockdowns."
"Us anti-maskers have been paying a huge price for our beliefs," Castleman told Insider in an emailed statement. "We've been banned from all public spaces, screamed at in the streets, and shunned from society."
Castleman told Insider he laid off his entire staff last year due to the COVID-19 lockdown, and has not been able to re-hire them.
"The lockdown has decimated most restaurants in the country," he told Insider. "My business has lost hundreds of thousands in revenue, and the loss continues because I am still capped at 50% seating capacity."
Castleman started crowdfunding on GoFundMe in June last year to "help fight COVID restrictions" after his café was fined $10,000 for failing self-certify with Mendocino County - a declaration that business owners had implemented COVID-19 safety measures.
So far, the campaign has raised more than $9,500.
In December, California governor
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- 86-year-old removes ‘retirement’ from his dictionary to become a startup founder
- Two Indian-born mathematicians US, Canada get Padma awards
- Equal-weight index: For diversified investments with low volatility
- I wish we move ahead unitedly, PM Modi extends greetings on country's 74th Republic Day
- R-Day: Traffic islands, roundabouts in Lutyens' Delhi decked up with artistic floral designs