Chick-fil-A apologizes after viral tweet from company account sparks accusations of racism
- Chick-fil-A has faced backlash after a tweet from its account sparked accusations of racism.
- The fast food chain apologized for the post, calling it a "poor choice of words."
Fast-food chain Chick-fil-A has faced heavy criticism after a tweet posted from a company account sparked accusations of racism.
On September 9, the restaurant chain responded to a tweet posted by a Black Twitter user, with the username Don, about the chain's Spicy Chicken Nuggets.
A company account for Chick-fil-A responded to the tweet, saying: "Your community will be the first to know if spicy items are added to the permanent menu, Don!"
—Don (@KANYEISMYDAD) September 9, 2022
The response garnered almost 9,000 retweets, with users accusing the company of using racially insensitive language with the phrase "your community."
One commenter said: "Do you mean like the black community?"
The company apologized for the tweet on September 12.
A spokesperson for Chick-fil-A told Today: "The response was a poor choice of words but was not intended in any way to be insensitive or disrespectful.
"We often use the term 'community' in a broader sense to talk about places where we operate restaurants and serve the surrounding community."
Representatives for Chick-fil-A did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment made outside normal working hours.
Chick-fil-A has faced backlash in the past for its stance on LGBTQ issues.
In 2019, the company pulled its donations and support for three separate groups that opposed gay marriage. The move was an effort to stop protests against the restaurant and broaden its customer base.
In August this year, a transgender woman told Insider she was harassed, outed, and fired while training as a director of operations at a Chick-fil-A franchise in Georgia.
- Razorpay forays into loyalty and rewards segment with PoshVine acquisition
- Don't equate fun with money: Sundar Pichai to employees
- Best Intel-powered laptops for school students
- Festive season is here! Explore the best Intel Laptops for Education
- Reliance is reportedly planning to launch JioPhone 5G in India at a very affordable price
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World